Sunday, January 9, 2011

First FO of 2011!

I finished the gift socks yesterday!  Unfortunately we are expecting what could be up to 6" of snow on Tuesday through Wednesday, so I don't know when I'll be able to deliver them to the recipient.  I want to photograph her when she opens the package, and there's a teensy chance she's stumbled onto this blog, so I won't post pictures of the socks until they are in her hands.  They do look really nice, though.

I started a pair for myself yesterday evening.  The "Lindsay" pattern from Cookie A's book Sock Innovation.  I let Lightning McQueen choose which pattern, as I've decided to knit all the socks in the book (but the order isn't important).  I'm using Paton's Kroy Sock yarn in the "Flax" colorway. These socks will teach me a lot:  garter stitch in the round, a garter short row heel and toe.  I'm about halfway through the second pattern repeat and they are going to be very pretty.

The lace stole is still waiting patiently on the sidelines.  My feet get so cold that I've decided to knit socks until I have enough pairs to go a whole week in handknit socks, before I go back to the stole.

I recently learned that my LYS has 9" circular needles for socks, so I have to pick up at least one in the sizes I use for socks before doing any of the more complex Cookie A patterns.  In the meantime I'll keep using my wonderful 4" Harmony dpns from Knit Picks.  I've had folks ask me "why are you knitting with toothpicks?" when I knit in public with them!

I've got another Price Check post coming (as soon as I find the receipt), but just so you know, regular gas is up to $3.14 a gallon here.  And eggs have gone up, so we're now selling ours for $3 a dozen, $1.50 a half dozen and 30 cents each. School update coming too. AND I'm about halfway through my first Meaty Book, which I will review after I've finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment