Friday, July 8, 2011

Here It Is, But You Can't Get To It.......

The last time I got any child support money was about three weeks ago.  Before that it was 2008.  Yes, you read that correctly, 2008.  Three years ago.

Now you have the backstory.  Here's the scoop:

I opened a letter from the local child support enforcement office this afternoon to find, as I expected, a summary of 'support payments processed in June 2011'.  No surprise there. The surprise was on the line below the one for "amount collected and disbursed by check" (this line read $150.00 which is the amount of the check I got a few weeks ago).  The next line reads "amount collected and disbursed by debit card".

ANOTHER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS.

Yes, I have a child support debit card.  The last time I used it, it had a ZERO balance because the last $17 was taken by Chase Bank for inactivity fees, because I left that amount on the card.  But I didn't receive any more money on the card after that, so for three months I had a $5 fee and then the fourth month after that last 2008 payment they took the last $2.

And the card is expired.

It expired in 2009.

I tried the number on the back of the card, and when I get to part where I enter the card number I get a recorded message that my card is expired and then the call is terminated.  I left a pretty urgent message on my support caseworker's voicemail, whose greeting says she will try to return all calls within two business days.

Sigh.

I'll keep you posted.
If the child support people could make him pay, I wouldn't have to agree to tailor stuff like this.

7 comments:

  1. I had the SAME thing happen about a month ago, and I googled the credit card company, and called their line for lost or stolen cards, and didn't enter in my card number, and got through to someone and explained the situation. They had a new card to me in like 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try that angle, Heather! It just frosts my cookies that they impose FEES on the child support card. You better believe that in the future I will run the balance down to nothing, toot sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get fees on mine like that. That is weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly hope they have reconsidered the fees. It has been 3 years after all. It's one thing to have a fee for an inactive account that you choose not to use or close, but to have them for one that one can only withdraw from? Dumbness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. What a nightmare.

    I have my child support directly deposited into my checking account, which is nice. I could have opted for the debit card but it just seemed like more of a hassle than anything.

    I've heard some pretty crappy things about Chase in general. I hope you get it worked out soon! Good luck!

    :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my state did a bunch of 'welfare reform' they went to debit cards for child support, food stamps and assistance checks. I wasn't given a choice, the card just arrived in the mail (and I just remembered I have totally forgotten the pin, ARGH). I'd like to get it straightened out this week, because I'm going out of town next week. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure a new card is on its way, but I didn't stay on the phone to talk to a live person b/c the recording said the hold time was over 10 minutes. Hopefully I will get a callback from the caseworker tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete