Now you have the backstory. Here's the scoop:
I opened a letter from the local child support enforcement office this afternoon to find, as I expected, a summary of 'support payments processed in June 2011'. No surprise there. The surprise was on the line below the one for "amount collected and disbursed by check" (this line read $150.00 which is the amount of the check I got a few weeks ago). The next line reads "amount collected and disbursed by debit card".
ANOTHER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS.
Yes, I have a child support debit card. The last time I used it, it had a ZERO balance because the last $17 was taken by Chase Bank for inactivity fees, because I left that amount on the card. But I didn't receive any more money on the card after that, so for three months I had a $5 fee and then the fourth month after that last 2008 payment they took the last $2.
And the card is expired.
It expired in 2009.
I tried the number on the back of the card, and when I get to part where I enter the card number I get a recorded message that my card is expired and then the call is terminated. I left a pretty urgent message on my support caseworker's voicemail, whose greeting says she will try to return all calls within two business days.
I'll keep you posted.
|If the child support people could make him pay, I wouldn't have to agree to tailor stuff like this.|