Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Seinfeld Post

Yes, that's a small praying mantis there on the corner of those icon prints!  (I wonder what it's doing......:))

I have a serious case of writer's block.

I cannot think of any one thing to write more than a few sentences about.  I think the humidity has mildewed my brain!

So, tonight you get a random mishmash of rather unrelated short paragraphs.  Comment on anything, everything or nothing - give me a prompt for a future post, even!

I've discovered that I much prefer yard work to housework.  I got the yard done in under 3 hours today, and it hadn't been done for almost 3 weeks!  Mowed (push mower, thankyouverymuch), trimmed, garden weeded (thank you Birdman) and flower beds neatened up.  Stuff looks better over here now.  I wish I could figure out a way to get some new grass growing inside the fence though; the chickens have really done a number on the grass!

Some people are very much not who they seem to be, and sometimes you don't find this out until later.

Had my very first Meemaw moment this afternoon!  He's an INSANELY CUTE baby; I have photos on my phone so they won't end up here until I email them to myself and then I'll post something. (and why did I title this post the way I did?)

I have a few ripe grape tomatoes, and one ripe Big Boy tomato, that I will pick tomorrow.  The butternut squash is still producing like gangbusters, and my eggplant is loaded with blossoms.  I have a bell pepper about the size of a child's fist, and green tomatoes on my other tomato plants.  I have to tie them up about every 3 days now.

We are still eating the produce I canned from 2009's garden.

Birdman now has his own "room" in the basement.  I may or may not have posted that I had to separate the boys and that Lightning McQueen was sleeping on a pallet in my room........that was getting old.  So, since I was having Birdman clean up the basement anyway, I gave him a little extra motivation and told him he could set himself up a room down there, and bought him a portable closet and a lamp.  So now there are no overnight guests in my room, YAY!

I really need to start seriously shopping for a washing machine.  Going to the laundromat is faster than washing clothes at home, but it's not very convenient!

I am enjoying my new phone.  It does some neat stuff!  I downloaded a free app called "Daily Readings" from the market; it's published by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and has the Saint(s) of the Day, the Epistle and Gospel, PLUS the fasting information for that particular day.  So far the readings match up with what's on my Ruthenian Byzantine wall calendar - some of the saints are different but that's to be expected.  Another neat app I have is "Out of Milk".  It's free too, and it's a shopping list app.  You can either manually enter the items you need from the store, or you can tap the barcode icon and then scan the barcode on the item with the camera on the phone!  There's also a To-Do List, and a Pantry List, and you can have multiple shopping lists (for example, one for the grocery store and one for Wal-Mart type items)

I read the other day that Apple, Inc. now has more cash than the US Government.

One of my favorite recently-discovered websites is The Art of Manliness. If you are a man, know any men, or have sons who are growing up to be men, I highly recommend it.  Chock full of excellent, sensible, PRACTICAL manly knowledge and skills.

So what do you want to read about here?  Leave a prompt in the combox and I'll accomodate as best I can.

1 comment:

  1. You know I just could not resist saying that is a praying mantis praying matins! ;o)
    Our butternut squash is producing like crazy, too -- & they are all volunteers from around the compost bin. If I can only keep them out of the yard (watch out, lawnmower!) & out of the alley behind the garden (watch out, speeding student neighbors!)...we'll be good!

    ReplyDelete